Tuesday, December 2, 2008

In memory of my mother, Lorraine Wathen

My mother was not an exciting cook, but she made some kick butt mac and cheese out of the box without using any measuring cups...ha! To this day, I still have to use measuring cups for the milk and butter! Anyways, she left behind her recipe box with recipes that I really have not done anything with, but store them away in the kitchen cabinet. So I got to thinking that I could share these with the family. Some of these recipes are on index cards that I remember her typing them on the type writer. I will have these scanned and on this website for all of you to see, take a minute and look at all the hard work she put into these, and by the way, all the strike marks threw letters was a cuss word behind it!

This first recipe I would like to share with you all is something that my mother would make on special occasions, a request that my brother would tell my mother and she would make it. I am not sure if this is her true recipe because I have tasted plenty of these. I think my brother would be the judge of this one!

Cheese Cake

1 9" graham cracker crumb crust
1 8 oz. softened cream cheese
1 14 oz. Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/3 C lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla

NOTE: there are no directions to this, so I will assume to put the ingredients in the bowl and mix, pour into crust and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

The last recipe that I would like to share would be Pound Cake. I can also remember my mom making this. She would usually eat this anytime throughout the day with butter on it and a cup of coffee (black with 2% milk to cool it down a bit).

Pound Cake

3 sticks shortening
3 cups gran sugar
6 eggs
8 oz cream cheese
3 cups cake flour
1 ½ tablespoons vanilla

Soften butter and cream cheese. Whip butter first, add sugar, add cream cheese. While whipping add eggs 1 at a time, then add flour and vanilla. Bake at 325-350 1 hr 20 mins

No comments: