Monday, December 8, 2008

From the Kitchen of Jeannie Hughes and Family

Just for you Brianna, Love, Auntie Jeannie

As Uncle Ken can attest... I'm not a cook or baker...I'm a creator. Ask me to make a card, write a poem, decorate a house or tree...but please don't ask me to cook! I do have a famous Strawberry Jello Cake that my children ask for on their birthdays over any other cake baked or bought. Thank God for Betty Crocker, Jello and Cool Whip!

Strawberry Jello Cake

1 - Box of Yellow Cake Mix
3 - Lg. Eggs
1/2 Cup of Vegetable Oil
1- 13"x9" cake pan (coat pan w/Pam Cooking Spray or Crisco to prevent cake from sticking to pan)
1- Small Box of Strawberry Jello
1- Cup of Hot Water
1- Container of Cool Whip

Follow Cake box directions by preheating the oven to 350 degrees
Mixing the cake mix, eggs and vegetable oil together, pour cake mixture in to the coated cake pan and bake for 30 minutes or until cake is done.
When cake is done...remove from oven and poke holes in cake (using
a large fork)...So Jello can absorb into the cake.
In a separate bowl combine Jello w/1 cup of boiling water...mix until
jello is dissolved.
Pour dissolved jello mixture over cake
Refrigerate overnight
Make sure you take the cool whip out of freezer and place it in the
refrigerate to thaw out overnight..
Before serving spoon cool whip over cake, cut and serve.
If there is any leftover refrigerate. Usually it is all gone by the end
of party.


Okay so I lied...I do know how to bake. But haven't had time. As a child I would go to my grandparents House for the summer. To give my mom a break from 4 child to 3 children. I spend a lot of time at my Aunt Marilyn's. She is a wonderful baker. She taught me to make Klatchkes. I didn't remember all the ingredients...until I ran across the recipe. And here it is for you Brianna.


Klatchkes

Ingredients:

2 cups milk
2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoon vegetable shortening
1/2 cup warm water
2 1/4 ounce package active dry yeast
2 large eggs
6 1/2 cups flour
1 21 oz. can pie filling
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
lots of patience (time)

1. In a small saucepan, combine milk, salt, shortening, and 4 tablespoons of sugar. scald and set aside to cool.
2. Dissolve yeast in warm water. set aside for ten minutes.
3. Add well-beaten eggs to the milk mixture then stir in flour. Knead together until it is smooth and satiny. Place in a lightly greased bowl and let rise for about 1 hour.
4. Punch down, knead slightly, and let rise a second time for about an hour.
5. Roll the dough on a slightly floured surface and cut into 3" diameter circles. place on greased cookie sheets and press an indentation in the center. let rise until about doubled, 30 minutes
6. Preheat oven to 350*F
7. Place one spoonful of pie filling, poppy seed or almond in the center of each and fold over edges.
8. Bake 15 to 20 min. Brush on melted butter and sprinkle with remaining sugar (powdered if desired).

Of course I ate more than I helped. Poppy seed are my favorite. It brings back the special childhood I had. The relationships with my retired grandparents who had a lot of patience with all the inquisitive questions a young child of my age had to ask.

I hope this is a recipe that you can share with your children and keep
the tradition going on.

XOXOX
Love,
Auntie Jeannie

No comments: