Wednesday, December 3, 2008

From the Kitchen of Nenia Vallejo

I first tried these pumpkin squares at work when a very sweet woman I work with brought them in. I was very surprised at how good they were and I immediately wanted the recipe. I knew everyone was anticipating pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving but all I could think about was those squares! So I decided they could have what they wanted, but I was making the pumpkin squares! Even if I had to eat the whole pan myself (which I definitely could handle! Haha!) So the night before Thanksgiving everyone was wondering what was that smell, what was I making? Pumpkin squares? We have pumpkin pie, why do we need pumpkin squares? I told them to just wait and see. Thanksgiving dinner came and went and it was time for dessert. We laid out all the pies and sitting there amongst the pie frenzy were my squares. Now mind u, I’m not the best cook/baker and it was my first time making them so I was a bit nervous. But as soon as one person tried one square, it was all over! Everyone wanted one, and then two, until the whole pan was gone!! I have already passed this recipe on to people there but I am happy to share it with whoever would like the deliciousness that is the Pumpkin Square! My preference is with Cool Whip on top, but it can be with or without any topping you like. Enjoy!


Pumpkin Squares

1 box yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1 c. sugar (divided)
2/3 c. evaporated milk
1/2 c. walnuts or pecans
1/2 c. butter (melted)
1 large can pumpkin
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice


Grease and flour 9x13 pan. Remove 1 C. cake mix and reserve for topping. In large bowl, lightly beat one egg, stir in remaining cake mix and melted butter. Press into pan. Lightly beat 3 eggs, stir in pumpkin, 1/2 C. sugar, brown sugar, evaporated milk, and cinnamon. Pour over cake mixture. To the one cup of cake mix, add remaining 1/2 C. sugar, nuts and butter. Mix until crumbly. Sprinkle over pumpkin mixture.

Bake 50-60 minutes @ 350 degrees

Serve warm or cool.

No comments: